NSCC Gittens lodge

In 1969, Prof. Ted Gittens and Dr. Verl Short, faculty members from the Nova Scotia Teachers College, looked for land to establish an Environmental Science Centre. They found their land at Scott Paper, who leased the College a 600-acre block of land at Manganese Mines. Gittens Lodge construction was began in 1971 and completed in 1973. All the lumber used in construction was supplied by Scott Paper. Most of the supplies and labour were donated by local companies and organizations. Renovations and upgrades have been performed through the years drawing on resources from Scott Paper (now Northern Pulp Nova Scotia Corporation), the Department of Public Works and Transportation, the Nova Scotia Teachers College, the Nova Scotia Community College and the local community.
In 1993 an evaluation of the woodlands surrounding the Lodge was conducted and 23 ecological study sites were documented and mapped. In an average year, approximately 1500 children and 150 adults make use of Gittens Lodge and surrounding property.

Get Directions